Our Mission is to help conserve
the ecological biodiversity and cultural diversity found in
coastal (Coral Reefs & Mangroves) and Himalayan environments
that have enriched our lives for the future generations to
Our impetus to start this foundation stems from
the rapid deterioration of natural ecosystems, alienation
of indigenous people from their habitats, the loss of biological
diversity and human values leading to a new breed of environmental
refugees and feminization of poverty.
To maintain peace on earth, it is essential
that we maintain peace in all its realms of space, oceans
and land environments. It is also important for a country
to take care of all its citizens irrespective of gender and
ethnicity and support them to maintain their cultural identity
and self esteem.
CARESS is dedicated to the memory of Shri Ranjit
Singh Hoon (2/2/1923 – 7/5/1998) by his family and friends.
1. To repay in a small way, the help and support
that tribal and rural people have given us in course of our
2. To Protect the Coral Reefs, Mangroves and related coastal
ecosystems for future generations to enjoy.
3. To work with the people who live in the TransHimalaya to
take up sustainable livelihoods
4. To work with the people who live in Coral Reef Areas to
develop sustainable, conservation, enterprise and livelihood
5. To empower women through Financial Micro Initiatives, training
6. To provide financial support to economically deprived students
to pursue higher education.
7. To network with grass roots level institutions that will
attempt to further these objectives.
8. To promote awareness of environmental, gender, biological
and cultural diversity issues among school and college students
9. To provide an environment orientation to school education
by conducting workshops and developing relevant environment
education teaching tools for students and teachers.